Beet kvass is an effervescent fermented drink. Tangy and traditional, this elixir is flush with health benefits. It's also easy to make!
- 1-3 beets enough to fill a quart-sized jar halfway
- 1 tsp salt
- filtered water to fill the jar
Scrub and chop the beets into 1/2"-3/4" chunks
Add the beets to the jar, filling it halfway
Fill the jar with filtered water, leaving 1/2" inch of head space
Stir in the salt and cover with a lid or fermentation airlock.
Allow to ferment for 7-14 days until fizzy
- If you're using a lid to seal the jar instead of an airlock, make sure to open it up every day to release any gas buildup.
- Try to give the kvass a daily stir (if you forget to do this, that's totally fine).
- You may notice a layer of scum. This is harmless. Just scoop it out!
- Adding a couple of tablespoons of whey will help to speed up the fermentation.
- Experiment with flavouring the kvass by including cabbage, onion, ginger, turmeric, etc to the mix.
- Get a second brew out of the beets by topping them off with additional salt and filtered water.
- Keeps for up to two months in the fridge (possibly longer, if it lasts that long!)