Pickled Fried Green Tomatoes
Pull out your trusty cast-iron skillet and get ready to make this super simple (and flavourful) recipe for pickled fried green tomatoes with an Old Bay seasoned cornmeal mix.
12" Cast Iron Skillet
- 3 green tomatoes sliced
- 3-4 cups pickle juice (enough to cover the tomatoes)
- 1 cup fine ground cornmeal
- 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 tsp Salt (adjust to taste)
- Cooking Oil ie. avocado oil, lard, tallow, etc.
In a large bowl, marinate the sliced green tomatoes in the pickle juice for 30-60 minutes.
Mix the cornmeal, Old Bay and salt in a large shallow dish. Taste the seasonings and adjust as needed.
Heat a large cast-iron skillet with the oil. For a real good fry, add enough oil so that it's 1/4" to 1/2" high, but you can also get away with using less oil.
While the skillet and oil are heating, dip the tomatoes in the cornmeal mixture. Be careful not to let the tomatoes sit around in the cornmeal for too long!
Fry the tomatoes until they're golden on both sides. If you're using a lot of oil, be sure to drain them on paper towel.
Playing with this recipe...
Serve them up!
- Whisk up an egg with some buttermilk and hot sauce to dip the tomatoes in before dredging them in cornmeal.
- Experiment by adding different seasonings to the cornmeal ie. dried herbs, cayenne pepper, cumin, sumac, etc.
- Make them an appetizer by serving them up with mayonnaise mixed with hot sauce or a good ranch dip.
- Turn them into a side dish.
- Sneak them into BLTs, burgers, or on a breakfast plate.